Pages

Apr 9, 2012

Best Practices - Application Pools Limitation in IIS where SharePoint is Installed!!!

For SharePoint web application content, if you have more than 10 application pools on the same server (see here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787.aspx), you are outside support. You have a choice between sharing application pools between several web applications for performance, or having some *specific* web apps in their own pool. Each time you do this it uses more CPU and RAM resources. However, a separate app pool may make my web app less vulnerable to other web apps crashing on the same server. Generally, I only have separate application pools for web apps when I have a specific security or stability requirement; e.g. my Corporate Published Intranet web app should be separate from the My Sites and Team Sites self-service-site-provisioning ones.


The above content is according to Microsoft Recommendation.

No comments: